Sorry I missed you all yesterday. I took a nasty spill on the ice Friday night and smashed my knee. Recuperated with the caramel apple oatmeal yesterday!
I make caramel sauce fairly regularly and keep it in the frig. I use raw sugar to make it, along with organic cream. Because I make a dark caramel it has a nice full flavor and you only need to use a little to enjoy the flavor.
Basic Caramel Sauce
1 C. Water
3 C. Sugar
2 C. Cream
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Allow sugar syrup to boil until all water has evaporated and syrup turns a dark amber. Don’t stir it and do not leave the pot unattended.
- Remove from the heat and VERY SLOWLY whisk in the cream. The sauce will bubble up violently. Don’t let it scare you, just add the cream a tiny bit at a time till you get used to this process and keep whisking.
- Return to heat, and whisk till completely smooth.
- Pour into clean, wide-mouth 1/2 pint jars (makes 2 pints).