Dreary grey morning. Bright apricot tastiness! Sweet and tart and topped with almonds and a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds.
Apricot & Toasted Almond Oatmeal: Serves 1
- 1/2 C. Oatmeal*
- 1 C. Apricot nectar**
- About 2 Tbs. chopped, dried apricots
- About 2 Tbs. toasted, sliced almonds for garnish
- A scattering of pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Bring the apricot nectar to a boil .
- Stir in the oats and bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring enough to keep the oats from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- I like my oatmeal “al dente” so I keep cooking till most of the moisture has been absorbed.
- Stir in about half the diced apricots at minute or two before the oats are ready to rehydrate them slightly.
- Top with the toasted almonds, remaining diced apricot and pomegranate seeds
*Note: I use Quaker rolled oats because I’m on a budget but feel free to use your favorite brand and cook longer if required. **I use Looza fruit nectars because they’re reasonably priced when I don’t make my own. Making your own is really simple. When any particular fruit is at the height of it’s season and wildly ripe put a handful into a blender (pit larger stone fruits and remove the core of fruits such as apples & pears first). Pour in water to cover slightly and blend. Keep adding water till the mixture resembles a juice and not a puree. Keep refrigerated and use within a few days or freeze for later. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice to keep the color bright.