With that cold sting in the air I needed the heat of ginger! I also wanted some creaminess so this morning I topped with a little yogurt and some crystallized ginger!
GingerSnap Oatmeal: Serves 1
- 1/2 C. Oatmeal*
- 1 C. Apple cider
- About a 1/4 tsp. of each: ginger, cinnamon & coca powder
- About an 1/8 tsp. of cloves
- 1 tsp. Molasses
- Crystalized ginger for garnish and for inside the oatmeal if you want a really gingery kick!
- Bring the cider, spices, cocoa and molasses to a boil.
- Stir in the oats and cook for 5 minutes, stirring enough to keep the oats from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- I like my oatmeal “al dente” so I keep cooking till most of the moisture has been absorbed.
- Top with a Tbs. of plain or vanilla yogurt and a scattering of chopped crystalized ginger.
*Note: I use Quaker rolled oats because I’m on a budget but feel free to use your favorite brand and cook longer if required